My first build, GPU one or two PCI-e cable for power

MOBO Aorus A520 Elite.....CPU Ryzen 5 3600.....2 intake and two exhaust fans...PSU Seasonic FOCUS 80 Plus Platinum 750 Watt fully modular / GPU PNY GeForce GTX 1660 Super [factory overclock edition], xlr8 gaming.

PNY recommends 450 Watt or greater PSU, so I am good their.

My QUESTION....This GPU requires one 8 pin supplementary power connector. My Seasonic PSU was supplied with two PCI-e cables terminating with 6 + 2 connectors. Should I use one cable 6 + 2 = 8 or as I have read in some places use one cable for six pins & a second cable for the two additional pins??? I have read that is supposed to prevent over heating at the power connector ?? Sounds a little unreasonable to me since Seasonic provides the 6 + 2 connector.. Your thoughts on all this would be appreciated...

I am not a gamer, use my PC for primarily Photoshop and ON 1 RAW so I do not think I will be drawing a large amount of power constantly through the cable.

Thank You

10+ Year Old Account
    The 6+2 is an 8 pin connector. The voltage for 6 and 8 are the same, and the two additional pins are simply if the card/voltage reg support it or not. But the "6" part of a 6 and 8 pin connector on the card do the same thing, hense the reason its attached but not connected, it can be used for both.

That said, connecting the 6 of a 6+2 and the +2 of another 6+2 sounds like not only a bad idea, but also counterintuitive to its actual purpose of monitoring voltage on the same rail/cable.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

No, that whole "use two cables" only applies if your gpu has two (or more) 8 pin connectors on it, a 1660 will never consume enough power to overload a single cable

Quote Originally Posted by Chironomid View Post
    Should I use one cable 6 + 2 = 8 or as I have read in some places use one cable for six pins & a second cable for the two additional pins???
    Where on gods green earth did you hear this? This is... terrible. Do not do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chironomid View Post
    My QUESTION....This GPU requires one 8 pin supplementary power connector. My Seasonic PSU was supplied with two PCI-e cables terminating with 6 + 2 connectors. Should I use one cable 6 + 2 = 8 or as I have read in some places use one cable for six pins & a second cable for the two additional pins??? I have read that is supposed to prevent over heating at the power connector ?? Sounds a little unreasonable to me since Seasonic provides the 6 + 2 connector.. Your thoughts on all this would be appreciated...
    1660 supers are not high power cards and are fine with one cable providing power to the 8 pin connector. use two different cables if there are 2 8-pin connectors on the graphics card.