Overall, I enjoy it immensely. If I had $150 to spare, I would buy the alpha access pack so I wouldn't be stuck doing "events". It is one thing that has annoyed me about many MMORPG devs. Limited beta events. I much prefer the way Blizzard does it: you get an invite, you can test out the game until it goes live.

A couple gripes: no free tagging. You have to fight others over kills, and right now it is absurd.
    Labor points. While a good idea, they regen horribly slow (5 per 5 minutes for f2p, 10 per 5 minutes for patron. And no labor generation when offline, which is stupid). To get the loot from mobs, you spend labor points (to open the purses). To use your quest rewards, you must idebtify them, which costs 5 labor points each. It takes hundreds of labor points to craft any gear, and so far it is rather pointless to do any crafting as you need the labor to use your quest rewards.

Luckily, they are looking into the labor point stuff. Because like someone said on their official forums: the labor point stuff smells of a cash grab to sell labor potions in the cash shop. Free players only generate 60 labor per hour when online, patrons 2x that. And to create a full set of gear, each piece of the lowbie crafted gear takes 100 labor each. That's not counting the labor it takes to gather the materials, and the labor it takes to refine them.

Gathering iron takes 10 labor. Smelting the ore (3 ore per ingot) into ingots takes 5. You get 2-4 ore per node you find. To craft 1 piece of plate armor (say 3 ore per node, and I think it takes 3 ingots? could be wrong about that) takes 145 labor just from the iron alone. That's about 2.5 hours worth, and that's if you don't spend it on opening purses or identifying quest rewards.

I may be griping, but I really enjoy the game. I just hope they can work on the labor stuff, or I see a massive drop of players. And that would suck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Overall, I enjoy it immensely. If I had $150 to spare, I would buy the alpha access pack so I wouldn't be stuck doing "events". It is one thing that has annoyed me about many MMORPG devs. Limited beta events. I much prefer the way Blizzard does it: you get an invite, you can test out the game until it goes live.

A couple gripes: no free tagging. You have to fight others over kills, and right now it is absurd.
    Labor points. While a good idea, they regen horribly slow (5 per 5 minutes for f2p, 10 per 5 minutes for patron. And no labor generation when offline, which is stupid). To get the loot from mobs, you spend labor points (to open the purses). To use your quest rewards, you must idebtify them, which costs 5 labor points each. It takes hundreds of labor points to craft any gear, and so far it is rather pointless to do any crafting as you need the labor to use your quest rewards.

Luckily, they are looking into the labor point stuff. Because like someone said on their official forums: the labor point stuff smells of a cash grab to sell labor potions in the cash shop. Free players only generate 60 labor per hour when online, patrons 2x that. And to create a full set of gear, each piece of the lowbie crafted gear takes 100 labor each. That's not counting the labor it takes to gather the materials, and the labor it takes to refine them.

Gathering iron takes 10 labor. Smelting the ore (3 ore per ingot) into ingots takes 5. You get 2-4 ore per node you find. To craft 1 piece of plate armor (say 3 ore per node, and I think it takes 3 ingots? could be wrong about that) takes 145 labor just from the iron alone. That's about 2.5 hours worth, and that's if you don't spend it on opening purses or identifying quest rewards.

I may be griping, but I really enjoy the game. I just hope they can work on the labor stuff, or I see a massive drop of players. And that would suck.
    Dam reading this actually makes me want to pass for this game , the labor thing is tottaly fucked up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by External View Post
    Dam reading this actually makes me want to pass for this game , the labor thing is tottaly fucked up.
    Lol, yea I had no idea about this. Will never play if that remains. I heard RU and KO had kind of horrible f2p-models, so perhaps this is one of their things that Trion decided to implement as well? And Trion told us otherwise (they would be better!):P well, well, we live in a world of money, so lets see what they will do. Less bothered with waiting now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Lol, yea I had no idea about this. Will never play if that remains. I heard RU and KO had kind of horrible f2p-models, so perhaps this is one of their things that Trion decided to implement as well? And Trion told us otherwise (they would be better!):P well, well, we live in a world of money, so lets see what they will do. Less bothered with waiting now though.
    Indeed. There's a ton that they could monetize in the game that I haven't seen in the cash shop yet, so it's not as if they're needing to find creative ways to monetize the game.

I'm hoping this doesn't make it live, and I'm willing to be money Trion is trying to get this taken out. But sadly, at the end of the day XL still has the final say : /

Having to play on low settings is making me so depressed lol. I hate whatever graphics engine they're using, it reminds me of ESO/AoW.

I'm at that point where my once powerhouse computer is getting so old that I'm starting to wonder if I should bother replacing the graphics card for the 4th time or just get a new computer altogether. Low settings seriously sucks in this game.

It's the sort of feature that almost always makes me hesitant to bother investing in an MMO so I hope it's adjusted or removed altogether as well. As much as I'm not a fan of cash shops across the board I find they're much easier to tolerate if they're largely limited to cosmetic stuff that isn't temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    Having to play on low settings is making me so depressed lol. I hate whatever graphics engine they're using, it reminds me of ESO/AoW.

I'm at that point where my once powerhouse computer is getting so old that I'm starting to wonder if I should bother replacing the graphics card for the 4th time or just get a new computer altogether. Low settings seriously sucks in this game.
    CryEngine iirc

What's your setup? I'm using an older rig and thus far haven't seemed to have many problems running it on high settings in 1440x900. Running and older 2.7GHz quad, 8BG RAM and a recently upgraded Nvidia 650ti (old Radeon HD 5770 finally died on me).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    CryEngine iirc
    Aion uses it as well and last I remember that game doesn't have any significant performance issues.

It uses CryEngine3. If you let the opening thing play (the one with Trion's logo) I belive it says so.

But I agree. After watching videos of this beautiful game, having to play it on low settings sucks. Even then, I get 8-15 fps, even with shadows enabled (which surprised me). Of course, that was DX9. Before going to bed, I enabled DX11, so we shall see how much fps drop I get from that, and if I have to go back to DX9.

Other than the labor system, which I think is fine if they upped the generation rate and removed it from everything but crafting, and maybe reduced the labor cost of crafting some things, the game is pretty awesome. Not sharing kills (like what they implemented in Rift, which was a huge improvement) sucks when everyone is at the same point, but would be tolerable if people were spread out. As it is now, it sucks for melee trying to tag a mob before ranged does, despite everyone starting with a bow.

They just need to make adjustments to the labor, and possibly add kill sharing. Which would be easier than getting people to open up and group with each other.

Ew, I had no idea labor extended to quests and mob looting. That's just ridiculous
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    So did they invite opt-in and just not change the E-mail?

But I'm not a founder.

Anyone? Any other opt-in (non-founders) get a invite with the same email?

wow. I didn't think this was a difficult question to answer
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2014-07-18 at 02:17 PM.

Nope. I got the email that Slipmat linked a couple pages back. So can't help you with that.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. I got the email that Slipmat linked a couple pages back. So can't help you with that.

Are you a founder or just opt-in? I got the same E-mail also, but it says it is for founders.(which I'm not a founder)

Nope, not a founder. Just an opt-in. Wish I had the 150 bucks to get the alpha access founder pack, though.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm enjoying aspects of the game. Probably won't play in live if they don't remove or completely rework that stupid labor point system.

Anyone got a spare key I can have. Been looking forward to play this game but don't have the funds to buy a founders pack.

Like it just as much as I have enjoyed alpha, the labor system doesnt bother me either. It really helps when you have a large guild with dedicated crafters and gatherers.

Wish I had a guild to join, one of those I see with the "Trading Co" or such in their name. But I feel it is kinda pointless, since I personally have no guarantee to be in all the betas to make friends and the like. I plan to get patron status, and am planning on being a crafter, definitely. It is why I chose the nuian (human), as they can build houses and castles quicker. Really wish I had the $150 to get into the alpha, as beta events are fucking stupid.

Sounds like the labor system might have been added for a few reasons...micro transactions OR to combat botting.
    I hope it's not for a micro transaction...that would suck
    But to combat bots...that would have been great for ESO...I mean they had Public dungeon farming bots, harvest node bots by the hundreds, monster farming bots, questing bots and probably more since i quit...if they could have had something like this to limit the influx of stuff for RMT mobs to sell it may have saved a lot of bother, give them time to deal with them as well rather than having so many that ban waves did squat

As it stands, you can afk indefinitely. I left myself logged in last night and got about 550 labor overnight, just standing there. You see quite a few people standing around <Away>. So if they leave that for live, then it won't combat any bots. But from what I hear, they will have a kick timer come live, which would eliminate that.

It is still a great game. They just need to remove the labor cost to get any sort of loot, and increase the drop rate of Archeum, which is required in (I believe) all crafting. I know it is for crafting gear.