10+ Year Old Account
    ArcheAge recently "celebrated" 1,000 days of release in it's home Korea. XL Games released this video highlighting some of it's features, ah, ArcheAge, what it could have been if only XL Games had a clue on how to code their engine and not allow so much to happen client side wide open to hacks and exploits

A look on what could have been....

so how hard is it for a returning player that hasnt touched the game in a year to get back into it?

i was on kyprios (i think?) na and had maybe 400g when i quit

Quote Originally Posted by Rust in Peace View Post
    so how hard is it for a returning player that hasnt touched the game in a year to get back into it?

i was on kyprios (i think?) na and had maybe 400g when i quit
    you don't want to come back...

10+ Year Old Account
    When I tried to come back on Kyrios, everything was pretty awful. Guilds and what not have taken over, depending on what side you started on you may be okay, but there was barely any land... well.. lemme rephrase...

there was a lot of land not being used for anything but a for sale sign, lands being owned by multiple people, half of entire housing zones were owned by a handful of people. Multiple alts, multiple names similar all owning most of everything, all trying to sell 16x16 plots.

I was able to get a peice in Auroria, but it wasn't even that great. Had to boat all my parts over just to make the scare crow and then I was so far from anything the back and forth just wasn't worth.

Unless you can get into a guild that pretty much owns your side of the world, you won't be getting very far.

Only thing I'm happy about is that I used Gold to buy Patron for the month I came back and not real money.

Overall, the game was great for the beta's and the first month or two. About six of my friends got founders, we all have a good amount of fun. Everyone was new to the game, you were fighting over land that was worth it because it was being used, still had free to players so you had a pretty good chunk of people to pick plants from if you wanted, and everyone was leveling up together so it was a bit even.

After the new feeling wore off, and it just became farmville, carting things for gold to spend on more things to upgrade other things, getting ganked by 5 people when you did try to level, broke out of jail, broke into jail, broke into jail to play soccer with friends, found the kraken, found little treasure boxes in the ocean, got chased by pirates, got chased by the other faction, once we did it all, it slowly lost it's shine. It had a great first time wow factor, but it didnt' really stick.

Edit: Every so often I do wanna play again, but it's from the memories of what it was at launch, not what it is as a "stable" game.
    Last edited by Tazila; 2015-10-19 at 03:27 AM.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kyrios is a total shithole.
    I keep hearing about transfers coming in November, is there any truth to that? It's time to find a better server.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

The steam reviews on this game are quite killing.
    I was so looking forward to this game,. but it seems like they really ruined the whole experience by going f2p

Horrible graphics on that trailer, really not appealing at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    I was so looking forward to this game,. but it seems like they really ruined the whole experience by going f2p
    It was always f2p, but with a terrible model indeed. Or well, the LP model overall is around the worst part of the game design

It had nothing to do with f2p specifically it's just how they handled the game. If it was P2P it would of sank just the same

- - - Updated - - -

It had nothing to do with f2p specifically it's just how they handled the game. If it was P2P it would of sank just the same
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Apparently blockading is bannable now. Which is sad.
    http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/21/ar...-cry-about-it/

Was great entertainment watching those unfold.

If you love MMO community drama like I do, Archeage is a gold mine.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Apparently blockading is bannable now. Which is sad.
    http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/21/ar...-cry-about-it/

Was great entertainment watching those unfold.

If you love MMO community drama like I do, Archeage is a gold mine.
    The whole sandbox mentality has already gone too far in Archeage. They should just get rid of the safe zones and make it a free for all everywhere. The whole game is built around this sort of c..p. Rewarding players for giefing. Ultimately no game can succeed under those rules. Slowly players will leave and the environment is toxic to new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    Ultimately no game can succeed under those rules.
    EVE says hello. It's been a huge sandbox that's allowed for all kinds of griefing for over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    EVE says hello. It's been a huge sandbox that's allowed for all kinds of griefing for over a decade.
    And their subs are declining. Slowly, but they are still declining. It's a very unfriendly model for new or late joining players and the established ones won't stay around forever because life happens.

And their subs are declining. Slowly, but they are still declining. It's a very unfriendly model for new or late joining players and the established ones won't stay around forever because life happens.
    Every game dies at some point. EVE is an old game and it shows, it still has years to go, but there's probably not much the devs could do to extend its life. It's not dying because of griefing, but because it's a hardcore game, and as you say - life happens, and nowadays players don't want to commit to a game so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Every game dies at some point. EVE is an old game and it shows, it still has years to go, but there's probably not much the devs could do to extend its life. It's not dying because of griefing, but because it's a hardcore game, and as you say - life happens, and nowadays players don't want to commit to a game so much.
    Perhaps that's it. My comment about no gaming succeeding "under those rules" is probably more to do with today's players. If AA was released 10 years ago (or even possibly 5 years) then it might have been hugely successful with the player base that was around back then. Perhaps it's also the huge variety of competition that's out there now days. In the past, people would pick and chose their games a lot more and tended to stick with the games a lot longer. I have 500+ games on my Steam account, most of which were purchased in the last year. I couldn't be bothered with some snot nosed brat with an over-sized ego trying to cause s..t with me. I have better things to do with my life. 10 years back, I probably would have invested a chunk of time "getting the person back". Now I would just quit the game and go somewhere else.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ultimately no game can succeed under those rules.
    I think this only applies to new games. I'm pretty firm in the belief that the era of hardcore MMO games is beyond us. And really, that's not a bad thing because the genre has been around since the dawn of MMOs as a whole. I mean heck even MUDs have perma death and games like UO were certainly not the most welcoming experiences. Eve did a great thing, but yes eventually they will dwindle b/c of natural progression.

I think the problem with sandbox games is two fold: one, they think 'sandbox' means 'hardcore' which is wrong...two, nostalgia seeking players turn it and burn it.

Ideally they just need to realize how sandbox works in tandem with the new wave of casual/accessible games. It's ironic that having freedom has translated to more penalties in previous MMO sandbox games, which is illogical. Sandbox should mean actual freedom...like you don't need to worry about labor points, b/c you are free to gather all the things and build all the things.

It means creating better player tools for in game content. Giving them the ability to build, stage events, provide game based rewards. Sandbox and concepts like permadeath aren't related at all, other than we arbitrarily developed that way and never looked back. When someone builds a modern sandbox game with a AAA budget, it will be successful. No one has put in the work required to make one and likely won't because of how many years it will require and how risky it is.
    BAD WOLF

People have also equated sandbox with open pvp grief fests.

It's a shame, because archeage had a lot of potential to be an amazing game. The crafting, trading, farming aspects are all pretty cool, and honestly I didn't find the questing experience to be bad either, if you waited until the zone you wanted to quest in was at peace. The limited land and no grid or limits on the amount of land you could own at launch pretty much wrecked them, and they've adamantly refused to do anything to recover that potential audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I think this only applies to new games. I'm pretty firm in the belief that the era of hardcore MMO games is beyond us. And really, that's not a bad thing because the genre has been around since the dawn of MMOs as a whole. I mean heck even MUDs have perma death and games like UO were certainly not the most welcoming experiences. Eve did a great thing, but yes eventually they will dwindle b/c of natural progression.

I think the problem with sandbox games is two fold: one, they think 'sandbox' means 'hardcore' which is wrong...two, nostalgia seeking players turn it and burn it.

Ideally they just need to realize how sandbox works in tandem with the new wave of casual/accessible games. It's ironic that having freedom has translated to more penalties in previous MMO sandbox games, which is illogical. Sandbox should mean actual freedom...like you don't need to worry about labor points, b/c you are free to gather all the things and build all the things.

It means creating better player tools for in game content. Giving them the ability to build, stage events, provide game based rewards. Sandbox and concepts like permadeath aren't related at all, other than we arbitrarily developed that way and never looked back. When someone builds a modern sandbox game with a AAA budget, it will be successful. No one has put in the work required to make one and likely won't because of how many years it will require and how risky it is.
    I think even a AAA game will run into the same problems. In the real world, there are consequences for your actions. In a sandbox game, those consequences are greatly reduced. So while there is a lot more freedom, the appeal is very limited. Everyone banding together and dealing with a problem player or group of players takes a lot of organization and effort which most players couldn't be bothered to do. They would rather just jump ship.

The problem is that casual clashes with sandbox in a way. There will always be people that go to far. Just look at all of the complaints around the new blocking rules in AA. Some people went too far so ultimately they ended up banning any blocking. There will always be a few that mess things up for everyone.

It's one of the reasons why places like 4chan only cater for a select group of people and not the mainstream public.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The majority of players live in reasonable safety in High sec.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death