Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The restart servers are gonna get rolled back at least so that's cool. Wasn't even a problem with the game, it was Glyph apparently (i hate glyph)
    There's gonna be a new event giving out free shit as part of the new patch, and they're giving out MORE free shit as an apology for today's fuck up. Let's try it again same time tomorrow haha.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

I get Trion has derived most of their success from the "jack of all trades master of none" sort of thing with decent polish but Glyph existing just to.... copy steam? Was down right fucking stupid. It's why I don't play WoW, Aion, or any game that needs a hub launcher to play the game.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It's why I don't play WoW, Aion, or any game that needs a hub launcher to play the game.
    Difference between all the shitty offbrand launchers and Bnet is that Bnet is reliable (other than ddos), serves a purpose, and is very functional. I'd rather not have it, but I do play enough Blizzard games that it's fine anyways. For someone only playing one game, kinda overkill, but at least it still functions as good account protection without the hassle, quick access to your account info, and a way to buy things quickly.

Glyph is just terribad in all aspects. Still better than Origin and Uplay, but not by much.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I get Trion has derived most of their success from the "jack of all trades master of none" sort of thing with decent polish but Glyph existing just to.... copy steam? Was down right fucking stupid. It's why I don't play WoW, Aion, or any game that needs a hub launcher to play the game.
    Honestly this might just be bias against Trion but they seem like a shitty version of Blizzard to me. They make worse copies of games, where at least Blizzard makes good copies of them...

This isn't really putting Blizzard up on a pedestal, Trion is just a lot worse IMO. They have rubbed me the wrong way with every game I've seen from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    Honestly this might just be bias against Trion but they seem like a shitty version of Blizzard to me. They make worse copies of games, where at least Blizzard makes good copies of them...
    Not at all. Rift is a fantastic game (even if it's a clone), Defiance isn't really a "copy" of anything, and Trove at least makes a slight spin/mixture on the whole Minecraft thing. Archeage, which they publish and don't develop, is largely pretty unique in the MMO scene. And I'd argue that Blizzard can make good copies, but doesn't always do so. I

This isn't really putting Blizzard up on a pedestal, Trion is just a lot worse IMO.
    Nowadays, I'd agree. But if we were talking pretty much any time within the first 2 years of Rift launching I'd would have disagreed super strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not at all. Rift is a fantastic game (even if it's a clone), Defiance isn't really a "copy" of anything, and Trove at least makes a slight spin/mixture on the whole Minecraft thing. Archeage, which they publish and don't develop, is largely pretty unique in the MMO scene. And I'd argue that Blizzard can make good copies, but doesn't always do so. I

Nowadays, I'd agree. But if we were talking pretty much any time within the first 2 years of Rift launching I'd would have disagreed super strongly.
    I honestly didn't like Rift, like at all. I disliked it because it was the hugest WoW clone I'd ever seen (yes I know WoW copied EQ etc.), and had the gall to say shit like "You aren't in Azeroth anymore!!". It honestly seemed like WoW with less character, I didn't like the art, the gameplay, anything really.

Archeage was their best game IMO (I don't think they actually made it right? They just published it or something, whatever), I actually loved how it looked and then they just completely ruined it with labor points like I posted earlier in this thread. That's all subjective but so is my entire dislike of Trion. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
    The restart servers are gonna get rolled back at least so that's cool.
    It was the only possible course of action they could reasonably take.
    The extra downtime would be worth it if they can finally provide a smooth launch.
    Given their past track record, I'm not particularly hopeful...

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly didn't like Rift, like at all. I disliked it because it was the hugest WoW clone I'd ever seen
    This term is thrown around a lot, but it doesn't really hold any merit. Nothing about Rift speaks specifically to WoW, but utilizes the same traditional design approach of the 2.0 MMO era. In fact, many core systems are inherently different than anything WoW has ever done. The class system, while utilizing talent trees, is a radical approach compared to WoW or many MMOs. In fact, it's one of the strongest reasons why the game was good. Additionally, the system of Rifts, invasions, and world events is still unique to that game more than anything. WoW has nothing remotely similar.

Unfortunately it suffers from people with confirmation bias logging on, thinking the game is ugly b/c it's not bright and shiny, then saying 'this is just like wow...what a wow clone'. Having professions, dungeons, raids and several other things are just typical MMO features. They were not invented by WoW.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    This term is thrown around a lot, but it doesn't really hold any merit. Nothing about Rift speaks specifically to WoW, but utilizes the same traditional design approach of the 2.0 MMO era. In fact, many core systems are inherently different than anything WoW has ever done. The class system, while utilizing talent trees, is a radical approach compared to WoW or many MMOs. In fact, it's one of the strongest reasons why the game was good. Additionally, the system of Rifts, invasions, and world events is still unique to that game more than anything. WoW has nothing remotely similar.
    They had talent trees with identical talents WoW had before it got the new ones, their classes had the same things (an example being combo points for rogues with finishers), the races seemed really lame (subjective). Rifts were just things that spawned waves of enemies, the invasions were cool I guess, not sure what you mean by unique world events.

Unfortunately it suffers from people with confirmation bias logging on, thinking the game is ugly b/c it's not bright and shiny, then saying 'this is just like wow...what a wow clone'.
    Eh, I wouldn't say I think the game is ugly because it's not bright and shiny. I don't like the way the art design is, I love the art design of Dark Souls, that's not bright and shiny at all. I just subjectively dislike the art design of Rift, I don't see subjectively disliking an art style as something worthy of criticism.

Having professions, dungeons, raids and several other things are just typical MMO features. They were not invented by WoW.
    I didn't say WoW invented these, I actually said the opposite. I gave a couple examples above of why it felt like such a clone to me. I don't think Archeage is a WoW clone, I don't think GW2 is a WoW clone, I don't think Wildstar is a WoW clone, Rift just really felt like one when I played it. As I said it felt like a bad version of WoW with less character.

The thing to keep in mind is that these are subjective complaints.

They had talent trees with identical talents WoW had before it got the new ones.
    Lol no.

If Rift did anything right it's these two things:

> Unique builds, largely due to some pretty nifty talents and ways the skills system worked
    > Challenging dungeons

They fucked up challenging dungeons, so the game is a drag to play now, but it still has fun ways to build a character. Did they steal archetypes, yeah sure. Like every fantasy book stole from any other fantasy book.

---------------
    On another note; So final and renewed verdict is; Do not play! Once again? (Talking about Archeage)
    Last edited by Vespian; 2015-09-13 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Lol no.
    Yes. They had talents that did the exact same things. There were a lot of different talents, just not a ton of really interesting ones (from my limited experience). Obviously you're going to have similar class archetypes in fantasy games like you said, but when your rogue is using moves to generate combo points (same exact name), then using finishers with poisons, bleeds, energy etc. etc. etc. it's a bit too similar IMO.

Yes. They had talents that did the exact same things. There were a lot of different talents, just not a ton of really interesting ones (from my limited experience). Obviously you're going to have similar class archetypes in fantasy games like you said, but when your rogue is using moves to generate combo points (same exact name), then using finishers with poisons, bleeds, energy etc. etc. etc. it's a bit too similar IMO.
    Talents =/ archetypes. The talent tree was vastly different. I played the game since closed beta, up til at least a year later, there was nothing wowesque about the talent tree. Except what there is about every single talent tree. Maybe we should call it Diablo IIésque rather than wowesque.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I believe i can fly....."

Nice freebies i got from just logging in for a snoop

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    "I believe i can fly....."

Nice freebies i got from just logging in for a snoop
    Is that a return reward xd?

Talents =/ archetypes. The talent tree was vastly different. I played the game since closed beta, up til at least a year later, there was nothing wowesque about the talent tree. Except what there is about every single talent tree. Maybe we should call it Diablo IIésque rather than wowesque.
    I didn't say talents = archetypes. Saying the talent tree isn't similar is just being dishonest. Let's see the skills they share, Rift on the left WoW on the right:

Savage Strike = Sinister Strike
    Virulent Poison = Instant Poison
    Final Blow = Eviscerate
    Assassinate = Ambush
    Stealth = Stealth
    Incapacitate = Sap
    Leeching Poison = Leeching Poison
    Impale = Rupture
    Jagged Strike = Hemorrhage
    Lethal Poison = Instant Poison with 5% crit tacked on
    Paralyzing Strike = Cheap Shot
    Leaping Plunge = Shadowstep
    Malicious Poison = Instant Poison with small energy gain tacked on

Talents:

Heartseeker = Murder
    Slip Away = Vanish
    Advanced Flanking = Puncturing Wounds
    Poison Mastery = Vile Poisons
    Foul Play = Kidney Shot
    Subterfuge = Master of Subtlety
    Backstab = Backstab
    Poison Potency = Vile Poisons
    Improved Savage Strike = Opportunity
    Blinding Powder = Blind
    Improved Final Blow = Improved Eviscerate
    Silent Footsteps = Camouflage + Master of Deception
    Puncture = Rupture
    Cloak and Dagger = Master of Subtlety
    Ruthlessness = Malice
    Murderous Intent = Murder

Now we add on the class mechanics that are the same (that aren't obvious rogue traits like stealth):

Combo Points
    Finishers
    Energy
    Bleeds

I only looked over assassin because that was already way too much work to put into this (and that's what I played, I can't remember much about what other talent trees I had), but to say the talent trees are "vastly different" and that they only share what every talent tree shares is just as I said, dishonest. I'll say again this is subjective, and I do have limited experience but when I played Rift as the rogue class it felt like a bad clone.

Maybe if you know of other classes that are totally different with super unique playstyles you could recommend them and I could try those out instead.

I didn't say talents = archetypes. Saying the talent tree isn't similar is just being dishonest. Let's see the skills they share, Rift on the left WoW on the right:
    And Fireball. Fireball was there too, goddamn those rats for stealing Fireball as well.

And Fireball. Fireball was there too, goddamn those rats for stealing Fireball as well.
    Every version of mage uses Fireball, not every rogue uses the things I've mentioned. I explained this in the post...it's clear you either don't understand or it was too long for you to bother reading it.

Herald of the Titans Tech Priest Bojangles's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Is that a return reward xd?
    Everybody gets a temporary one for 30 days. Log in and open a box every day for a week and you get a permanent one.
    -=From the moment I understood the weakness of my flesh, it disgusted me. I craved the strength and certainty of steel. I aspired to the purity of the blessed machine. Your kind claimed your flesh as if it will not decay and fail you. One day the crude biomass that you call a temple will wither, and you will beg my kind to save you... But I am already saved..... For the machine is immortal=-

Every version of mage uses Fireball, not every rogue uses the things I've mentioned. I explained this in the post...it's clear you either don't understand or it was too long for you to bother reading it.
    Did you also see that that specific tree was one of..3 if my recollection is correct? Or am I missing the point, again? There were definitely themes and I do see how they are similar. It's just not a wow ripoff. Wow ripped everything else in fantasy off. There's only so little you can do with blades and poison coating. Yes, they could have let their fantasy explode. That would beckon the question who would play Rainbow Explosion Rift though.

Rift was good, back then. Let's not pretend WoW made all these unique builds.
    Ragnarok Online:
    http://skillsim.gn0.me/?q=rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Bojangles View Post
    Everybody gets a temporary one for 30 days. Log in and open a box every day for a week and you get a permanent one.

Oh, ok, thanks! I must've missed it yesterday...

Deleted
    On another note; So final and renewed verdict is; Do not play! Once again? (Talking about Archeage)
    Not sure what put you off in the first place so can't comment specifically.

In broad strokes, gear is more accessible, there's a new guild and hero system and housing options got more diverse.
    You can check the patch notes for details, they're fairly extensive.