Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Are we expecting too much from Blizzard?

The game has generally gotten ever more complex over the years from a development point of view, with many additional systems that require maintaining compared to 10-12 years ago (more classes, races, raid difficulties, pet battles etc). In addition, the overall quality of content has increased over time.

Given the above, are we expecting too much from Blizzard? There are constant complaints about the lack of content in game. But when you now have so much on your plate, scarce development resources have to be divided amongst a greater number of systems which naturally means that the amount of raw content released over time will decrease.

Are we being too harsh on Blizzard? Should we be expecting less raw content over time given Blizzard's situation?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post
    The game has generally gotten ever more complex over the years from a development point of view, with many additional systems that require maintaining compared to 10-12 years ago (more classes, races, raid difficulties, pet battles etc). In addition, the overall quality of content has increased over time.

Given the above, are we expecting too much from Blizzard? There are constant complaints about the lack of content in game. But when you now have so much on your plate, scarce development resources have to be divided amongst a greater number of systems which naturally means that the amount of raw content released over time will decrease.

Are we being too harsh on Blizzard? Should we be expecting less raw content over time given Blizzard's situation?
    Nothing justifies having year-long periods of no content in an MMORPG.

7+ Year Old Account
    ehh i can agree partially with this.... people suspect perfection in everything, and suspect them to make the game "they want" when every player has a different "they want" there is many things they can do better.... but alot of things people either give no credit for or simply pass off as nothing

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post
    Nothing justifies having year-long periods of no content in an MMORPG.
    issues, delays, bugs, problems in devolpment, those are all things
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Deleted
    Well it's partly Blizzards own fault, they "overhype" features to the point where, regardless of the actual quality, people are disappointed.

They should learn some modesty, tell us what they realistically can do and in the best case surprise us.

And yes, people start to expect more and more, partly due to hype and partly due to other game in the gerne having features WoW lacks.

I don't think so, the main criticism I hear consistently has to do with Blizzard's endless fucking around with everything eventually getting things back to a point where people are reasonably happy and then just ripping it all apart all over again. There is absolutely no good reason they aren't giving players a steady stream of content except for the fact that they focus all of their resources on trying to reinvent the wheel and that's been the case since the new team took over with Cataclysm. Before that the game was fairly consistent with the release of content patches in terms of time and the amount of content that came with them

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Sure, but when it happens 3 expansions in a row there's a problem. WoW has been out for almost 12 years, 3.2 years (27%) of those 12 were just Dragon Soul, Siege of Orgrimmar and Hellfire Citadel.
    Last edited by Adoxe; 2016-07-12 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sargnagel View Post
    Well it's partly Blizzards own fault, they "overhype" features to the point where, regardless of the actual quality, people are disappointed.

They should learn some modesty, tell us what they realistically can do and in the best case surprise us.

And yes, people start to expect more and more, partly due to hype and partly due to other game in the gerne having features WoW lacks.
    ppl overhype, blizzard dont. wtf?
    We all know that burguers arent like the Mcdonald Ad on tv...

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by styil View Post

There's nothing wrong with being dissatisfied.
    There's a little something wrong with the personal attacks and almost frothing cynicism, though.

They chose to cater to all types of players. So, more work for them as a result.

Imo they need to clearly choose a side. So:

- Either a casual-friendly game with more solo content (medium difficulty) and less group content but it would be fully queueable
    - Or a game focused on guilds and group content that needs some skills and effort to get rewards

Trying to have both in one game makes everyone unhappy.

I will tell you a fact,

Content or not,good or not,

I just played wow this years, not any another.

The problem is not expecting too much or not, the problem is expecting.

WoW isnt a perfect game, but guess what, if you played it 3 expac in a row (6 years) it mean that its still the best. If not, you should spend your time and money on another mmorpg. imho

The deeper issue is actually that most people that keep complaining don't even really know what they expect.

They think they do, but they don't.

I do think some people have unobtainable expectations of WoW. People calling for vanilla like gameplay, with current modernization, yet nothing changing all at the same time is just ridiculous.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

No. What we expect from Blizzard is the NORM. They just spend way too much time on redoing the classes every expansion instead of adding actual content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    ehh i can agree partially with this.... people suspect perfection in everything, and suspect them to make the game "they want" when every player has a different "they want" there is many things they can do better.... but alot of things people either give no credit for or simply pass off as nothing

- - - Updated - - -

2 major patches over a 3+ year stretch is a bit too slow. If the issues, delays, bugs and problems are that hard to deal with and the cause the group is inept.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    2 major patches over a 3+ year stretch is a bit too slow. If the issues, delays, bugs and problems are that hard to deal with and the cause the group is inept.
    Uhm.. A 3+ year stretch.. What expansion are we talking about, that only had 2 'major' patches over 3+ years?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by micwini View Post
    No. What we expect from Blizzard is the NORM. They just spend way too much time on redoing the classes every expansion instead of adding actual content
    The fun moment where Blizzard created most the 'Norm' and yet people don't seem to have the same expectations with other MMO's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    The deeper issue is actually that most people that keep complaining don't even really know what they expect.

They think they do, but they don't.
    As well as the ones who just do non-constructive complaints.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Legin is, for me, the last chance for wow and blizzard in itself, except if something revolutionaly happens like a new franchise in the Strat/RPG genre.

After the major disapointment that was Diablo 3 and the last 2 WOW expansions, Heartstone over-simplicity and Starcraft expansions lack of inovation, blizzard has reached a point to me that is just resting on its medals from 10 years ago and milking the most it can. Project Titan floped, warcraft movie was a wasted oportunity for glory, etc.

Overwatch i admit it can be good. Didn't try it because it's just not my type of game. I will give it that it seems at least fresh and new, but i could be wrong aswell.

All in all, i realy think that blizzard had a fabulous start over a decade ago, then went completely downhill because it tried to milk the formulae over and over and over again, instead of doing what it did best when it started wich is to build new worlds and mechanics.
    Blizzard did that because numbers keep showing up and millions of people still give them money. Diablo sold millions, starcraft sold millions, Hearstone is gigantic for a "sideproject" they had ages ago that was partialy shelfed...

Don't get me wrong, the formulae works for numbers. Blizzard games' numbers are mostly strong on players, but i'm realy disapointed because it clearly shows they could do much much better than this.

If i am expecting too much? I don't think so. They have a sizeable team of people to create new content... it's not like they are a small studio, right? I always expect a lot from big studios. Big revenues/sales must be equal to investment and realy good quality new products. If not, someone somewhere is filling its pockets way too much.
    Last edited by mmoc40e5aa3799; 2016-07-12 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sometimes, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Uhm.. A 3+ year stretch.. What expansion are we talking about, that only had 2 'major' patches over 3+ years?

- - - Updated - - -

The fun moment where Blizzard created most the 'Norm' and yet people don't seem to have the same expectations with other MMO's.

- - - Updated - - -

As well as the ones who just do non-constructive complaints.
    The end of MoP to now.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shonist View Post
    ppl overhype, blizzard dont. wtf?
    We all know that burguers arent like the Mcdonald Ad on tv...
    Right the Garrison wasn't pitched with a literal fuck-ton more features then they delivered? Like multiple locations?
    Or the two captial cities in WoD?

They overhype shit just as bad as people do.

Deleted
    Expecting not to nerf fun more. Sometimes not doing something is more content than doing something, example garrisons with 11 alts are not fun, but account wide 1 garrison would be fun for players, and lot more cheaper to blizzard as company (less hardware and network resources needed and those dudes who calculate Legion economy aspects could have been used now for class balance development), bringing more investment money to shareholders etc.
    Basically, expecting blizzard not to shoot himself into it's legs, it isn't really lot to expect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    The end of MoP to now.
    Eeeeehhhh.. Pre-patch is a major patch, then there's an expansion, then a semi patch (technically major, if it wasn't because people whine that the raid doesn't count because it was already there (except it wasn't finished)), and then another patch..
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..